What do you get when you take about 3 dozen horses/ponies and miniatures, 37 classes and 153 entries and add a nice spring day?
An awesome schooling show!
A lot of excited and slightly nervous exhibitors rolled into Caroline County 4H Park on the morning of Sunday, April 23rd to kick off the 2017 show season with a “less-stress” version of the activities that will make up the ESWHSA class roster this year. ESWHSA VP, David Walbert, started us out right by his inspiring rendition of the National Anthem and we were off and running with the halter classes. Our judge, Caitlin Ginn, placings provided much needed feedback on how prepared we are for the up-coming shows and where we might need some work and most were pleasantly surprised that they were more prepared than they thought, including the high point award recipients who received either $25 or a $25 gift card:
High Point Mini(tie): Overtimes She’s Got Spots/Donna Urian
Reese’s Best Bet/Donna Mullins
High Point Horse: Moves Like an Angel/Sierra Kane
High Point Pony(tie): Custom Blue Chrome/Joan Smith
Miss Lily Belle/Lauren Edger
High Point Youth: Sierra Kane
High Point Adult: Kelsey Walls
High Point Limited Youth: Stephanie Stratcher
High Point Limited Adult: Dawn Jacobs
We’d like to shout out “Thanks” to all those who helped put on the event:
- board member, Cathy Moore and youth exhibitor, Emalee Edgar, and her Mom, Melissa Moffett, for selling that very profitable 50/50 that netted Darlene Parker $206!
- board members, Nina O’Bryan, Tina and Rob Joiner for helping the exhibitors with their questions and entry forms and calculating the high points
- President, Mary Gooden, and board members and sponsors, Doug Sherwood and Tammy Short for lending a hand wherever is needed … setting up courses, setting up the PA system, cleaning up the grounds
- Board members, Tina Kane and Sandy Tucker, as ring steward and announcer, for keeping people where the needed to be.
- K&R for keeping us well fed … yum!
- and last but never least, the girls from the Delaware State University Women’s Equestrian Team (Abigail Buckwalter, Molly Gara, Blayne Bell, Hayley Anderson, Angelina Watts, Eva Epstien, Peightyn DeMara and Paige Slater) for volunteering for anywhere we needed help!!
When it was all over, we’d seen many old friends and met some new ones and basically supported everyone (people and equine alike) to get our showing groove on.
MOST OF ALL, THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO CAME AND PARTICIPATED!
Coming Up on 5/7/2017 – Holly Glen Farms will continue their long tradition of hosting the first ESWHSA show at Caroline County 4H Grounds … CYA there!!
The Easter Bunny hasn’t cornered the market on cute!!
On April 8th, some of the ESWHSA’s own stopped by Dover Place assisted living facility to give the Easter Bunny a hand greeting all the residents and their families at the annual Easter Egg Hunt.
Three of the miniature horses and exhibitors that show on our circuit, traded in their show apparel for bunny ears and were a huge hit with everyone young and old. Nina O’Bryan with her 20 year old veteran, Knollacs Rowdy Julie aka “Julie” led the way . Nina works there so she definitely knows her way around. Two of our youth exhibitors, Jazz Petersen and Donna Urian and their minis, Knollac Starmakers Notta Reflection aka “Notta” and Overtime’s She’s Got Spots aka “Bubbles” waltzed right in the facility with Nina and Julie and all three were an instant sensation. They even visited some of the residents in their rooms! The little horses, donned with bunny ears and their feet wrapped in colorful vetwrap to keep from slipping seemed right at home in the break rooms and hallways, posing for pictures and pats. Like everyone they greeted, the minis really seemed to be enjoying themselves.
This activity is a wonderful way to give back to the community and raise awareness of horses outside of the show arena. The girls enjoy doing these visitations because the little horses make everyone happy. The minis like all the attention and the occasional treat. Happiness was in the air and the smiles were popping up on people’s faces just like flowers in the spring!